Sunday, October 24, 2010

LABOUR WEEKEND IN NEW ZEALAND

This weekend is labour weekend, which means Monday is a holiday. It's the weekend for putting in vegetable gardens. Peas planted now will be ready to eat for Christmas Dinner. It is also the weekend my Mum used to bake the Christmas cake, before wrapping it up in newspaper and giving it a weekly dose of sherry.

There is another tradition for this weekend in Dunedin. It rains. Cold, blustery and wet. It's a dead certainty. We make plans and they are always dashed with rain.

But not this weekend. Dunedin has turned on blistering hot weather. The sun has been shining and the temperature is rising. And we've been busy.

We've moved the strawberry plants, planted the sweet peas and turned the soil for the potatoes. I've selected two new highly scented lavenders for the deck and for my garden under the kitchen window I've bought a huge tray of blue pansy seedlings, one of white lobelia and a mixed tray of angel's wings.  I've also got my eye on a tray of yellow pansy seedlings, which I'll buy next week.

We've also got the duvets out for a good airing, spruced up the deck and organised shelves in our glassed in porch where I plan to grow perpetual lettuces and herbs. I want to grow basil as I've recently learned how to make pesto.

If you're wondering whether I had time to bake the Christmas cake, I stopped making it several years ago. I never could get it 'just like Mum's'. On the Christmas theme, I was in the supermarket today and stock for the festive season has arrived. Only 61 days to go!

There is still one day of the weekend left and I'm wondering if I'll squeeze in some writing, but I guess I just have.

Happy holiday!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely Sue! I love how you've described what indeed has turned out to be a lovely Labour Weekend here in NZ, and the traditions that go with it. Claiming and validating our culture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're having an enjoyable and productive weekend. Good on you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's sun and nothing but the sun everywhere. Glad you're enjoying it, and you sound so organised. Those 61 days will be gone in a flash, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanne,

    How true, we're down to 59 all ready!

    ReplyDelete