Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I'VE BEEN WRITING!

Lately, trying to get words down on paper has been like pulling teeth. At the last meeting of my critique group I had nothing to bring. An absolute first and not one I wish to repeat. And now it is almost time for another of the Dunedin Writer's Workshop short story competitions. The last one, in February, took place with no submission from me. Now I have been known to skip one if the theme was "children's" or "fantasy", but this one had an open theme. Yet no matter how hard I tried, the page remained blank.

The competition which closes in a couple of weeks has the theme "Crime or Mystery" and I'm happy to report that I have two stories, almost finished.

The first I have mentioned before and is based on an historical 'sticking up'. It spent a very long time rattling around in my head before it finally emerged, but it's out and I'm happy.

The second story came about in one of those magical moments, when you least expect it. This morning, as I was about to throw off the bed covers and face the world, it just 'popped' into my head. Complete from beginning to end! I like it when that happens. I wrote almost 2000 words today and it is taking shape quite nicely. The word limit is 3000 words so I am almost there.

So what is it about, you ask. Well, it's historical - no surprise there. Set in the American West in the latter part of the 19th century it involves stagecoaches, outlaws, a curious carpet bag and a captivating heroine named Violet.



Fingers crossed for a place in the competition!

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, that sounds so exciting, Sue. Good luck in the competition. Crime or mystery in a historical setting sounds marvellous - gotta love the 'sticking up' bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joanne - I'll let you know how I get on. Results come out in July.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a huge fan of competitions. Two shorts of mine are in anthologies and I gained my publishing contract all from competitions. I hope you have lots of success.

    ReplyDelete