Wednesday, October 5, 2011

MUSINGS FROM A SLEEPY BLOGGER

It's sometimes hard to come up with a blog when not much has been happening. I'm getting over the last of the shingles, which have left me with an insatiable need to sleep! the weather is bouncing between glorious warm sunshine and cold overcast drabness, and I'm still grappling with the first three chapters of my novel - with a modicum of success. So really I have nothing awe inspiring or exciting to report.

Have I read some good books? Yes, definitely, but nothing I feel like reviewing - yawn - I need more sleep.

What about telly?  Well I did watch a doco about three men in a boat in Scotland. I enjoyed that and it rekindled my desire to travel there. A bit of a problem about all the boat rides to the islands though. Not sure I like the idea of little planes either.

Movies? I enjoyed one on the telly the other day. Can't remember the title - what does that tell you?

Oh, a light bulb flash! I watched Young Victoria on Sunday evening. Now that was wonderful. What really intrigued me was her succession to the throne. I always assumed she was the daughter of a king, but not so. This movie really highlighted my ignorance of the monarchy over this period. I know an awful lot about the Tudors - can't avoid them really, can we? Then, thanks to the superb writings of Sharon Penman, I have some knowledge of the Middle Ages, but the Regency? My knowledge of that era begins and ends with what I've gleaned from Jane Austen, and if you know her work then you know that the monarchy gets barely a mention. Well, not that I noticed anyway.

So, there you go. A glimpse into the not very exciting life of an aspiring novelist. I'll think I'll go take another nap now.  I'll just find a pretty picture for you first :)

Victoria and Albert - Quite the handsome couple aren't they?

6 comments:

  1. Love this movie!!! I think someone needs to write an awesome novel about our Victoria. Who isn't over the tudors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splendid idea Pen. I can't think of one novel about her. Anybody reading this who has heard of one - please tell us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read Albert & Victoria by Sarah Fergusson which is not a novel (I think she was the Duchess then). I loved it! It's good fodder for a novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must trace down that book, Joanne. I didn't know she had written anything other than the Budgie books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you're getting better. I haven't seen this movie but now I want to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clarissa - I'm sure you'd love it!

    ReplyDelete